Commercial Manager for Germany, Switzerland and Austria
Responsible to: General Manager DACH & Head of Europe
Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience
Contract: Terms to be agreed
Location: Preferably Germany or acceptable travel distance to clients
The Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) is an independent, non-profit organisation, which sets global standards for responsible aquaculture. ASC promotes responsible aquaculture to consumers through the use of its logo on certified products.
The aquaculture industry is growing strongly and is already supplying more than half of all seafood consumed worldwide, but this growing demand increases the environmental and social footprint associated with this expansion. The ASC certification and labelling programme incentivises improved farming practices by promoting the benefits of responsibly farmed seafood in the market to encourage industry towards achieving environmental sustainability and social responsibility. For more information go to www.asc-aqua.org.
The ASC is currently seeking a Commercial Manager to work in Germany, Switzerland and Austria to deepen and expand the ASC certification and labelling programme. The role will promote the ASC’s mission and contribute to a growing momentum on responsible seafood and enhance the quality of key (commercial) stakeholders engagement.
- Contribute to the market specific Country working plans to deepen presence and build awareness for the ASC programme (key stakeholders, commercial partners, activities and resources needed).
- Support the deepening of our relationships with committed key retailers and brands and explore ways to increase the number of ASC labelled products.
- Expand relationships with relevant and prioritised commercial partners to foster their commitment to the ASC programme.
- Engage and increase the number of suppliers and promote and drive uptake of Chain of Custody (CoC) certification.
- Improve the quality and efficiency of our service to the big number of commercial partners in Germany, Switzerland and Austria e.g. in their needs to confidently source and sell certified seafood (understand the programme, sourcing needs, providing marketing materials etc.).
- Expand and strengthen relationships and collaboration with NGOs, other certification programs (ISEAL members) and consumer organisations in building trust and awareness around the ASC certification programme.
- Create and lever opportunities of commercial partners in communication and marketing efforts to promote certified seafood to end-consumers and build recognition of the ASC logo (such as engaging partners in a joint campaign week).
- Collaborate closely with ASC’s communication team to support commercial partners in their marketing needs and champion them (through PR) when reaching important mile-stones.
- Collaborate closely with ASC’s Programme Assurance Team to educate and inform partners to maintain the credibility and integrity of the ASC certification and labelling programme.
- Coordinate and organise ASC events for supply chain companies or companies interested in certification.
- Provide feedback to ASC about expectations and wishes of commercial partners regarding the further development of the ASC programme and actively engage commercial partners in relevant technical projects and revisions to further improve our programme.
- Strengthening the collaboration with the MSC in support of ASC’s efforts to service the German/ Austrian/ Swiss markets.
- Any other duties, as requested by the General Manager DACH.
Required skills and experience
- Fluent in spoken and written English and German
- Educated to a degree level or equivalent experience/ qualification.
- Proven and relevant working experience in the German/ Swiss/ Austrian seafood and/ or sustainability sector.
- Network in the seafood/ sustainability sector in at least one of the markets.
- Solid knowledge about the role of certification in the seafood sector, knowledge of environmental and sustainability issues and insight into the evolving, global landscape of sustainable seafood.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Proven stakeholder management experience.
- Being able to explain in meetings technical details of the programme in an understandable way, and at the same be present and solid to manoeuvre discussions in a direction that builds support for the role of certification in making aquaculture responsible.
- A sound business attitude and results-oriented, at the same time you listen and have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to garner support and cooperation.
- Proven ability to drive forward a successful joint working relationship with external partners turning a client into an ambassador
- Good writing skills both for daily communication, but also corporate outreach materials.
- Good judgement and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional organisational skills, experience with planning and executing outreach sessions and events.
- Ability to work as part of a globally operating team, but also the skills and character to work remotely.
- An enthusiastic, self-motivating and fun colleague to work with.
Please e-mail a cover letter and CV detailing how you meet the criteria to: email@example.com by August 16th 2019.
Applications will be reviewed and a short list of candidates will be invited to take part in an initial screening. Successful candidates will be asked for an interview; where they will be required to prepare a short presentation to demonstrate communication proficiency.