Communications Manager Germany and the Netherlands
Responsible to: Communications Director
Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience
Contract: Full-time, terms to be discussed
Location: Utrecht, the Netherlands preferred but ASC supports remote working and candidates in other European cities will also be considered
The Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) is an independent, non-profit organisation, which sets global standards for responsible aquaculture. ASC promotes responsible aquaculture to consumers through the use of its logo on certified products.
The aquaculture industry is growing strongly and is already supplying more than half of all seafood consumed worldwide, but this growing demand increases the environmental and social footprint associated with this expansion. The ASC certification and labelling programme incentivises improved farming practices by promoting the benefits of responsibly farmed seafood in the market to encourage industry towards achieving environmental sustainability and social responsibility. For more information, go to www.asc-aqua.org
The ASC is currently seeking a Communications Manager for Germany and the Netherlands to support the growth of ASC products through the communication of responsible aquaculture by helping important stakeholders, influencers and critics to better understand the benefits of ASC and the value of engaging with the programme.
- Lead, in close collaboration with the commercial managers for Germany and the Netherlands, to execute a communications strategy.
- Cataloguing and mapping key influencers amongst ASC clients, supporters, critics and other opinion formers.
- Monitor media channels and pro-actively respond on opportunities and position the programme amongst press and opinion-makers
- Respond to media inquiries and interview requests
- Support the commercial managers on messaging relevant to partners
- Create content for press releases and byline articles
- Seek ongoing and high-level placements in print, broadcast and online
- In coordination with commercial managers monitor emerging issues related to ASC’s work and industry trends to effectively implement and refine the communications plan
- Lead on issues management communications including development of Q&As and key messages to address areas of concern
- Select items from global communications and assets (press releases, news stories, animations, etc) for translations and adaption to the German and Dutch markets
- Establish, maintain and develop ASC social media accounts (currently Twitter and Facebook) in the German market
- Lead on content management for the German and Dutch website
- Support commercial-led campaigns promoting the ASC programme
Required skills and experience
- A university degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in Dutch and German, with English as a second language
- Ability to execute a wide range of communications activities via various channels
- Ability to translate complex and technical content into non-expert messages for diverse audiences
- A full understanding of media needs and media relationships in the German and Dutch markets
- Proven stakeholder engagement experience
- Ability to work well within large international networks and the skills to deal with cultural and linguistic nuances
- Experience of developing and communicating complex and controversial topics
- An understanding of the role that certification plays in driving positive change
- A pro-active and independent approach to work with the ability to align with colleagues around the world.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills with a proactive and result-oriented “can-do” personality
- Reliable, responsible and accurate with an attention to detail
- Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach and the ability to make pragmatic decisions
- An enthusiastic and fun colleague to work with
Please e-mail a cover letter, 2 writing samples (1 in Dutch and 1 in German) and CV to: email@example.com
Your CV, cover letter and writing samples will be reviewed. A short list of candidates will be invited to take part in initial interviews via Skype with the Communications Director and Commercial Manager for Germany. Successful candidates will be asked to interview in person at a location to be determined and will be required to prepare written materials and / or a presentation to demonstrate suitability.