Commercial Manager Japan
Responsible to: General Manager Japan
Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience
Contract: Terms to be agreed
Location: Preferably Tokyo, Japan
The Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) is an independent, non-profit organisation, which sets global standards for responsible aquaculture. ASC promotes responsible aquaculture to consumers through the use of its logo on certified products.
The aquaculture industry is growing strongly and is already supplying more than half of all seafood consumed worldwide, but this growing demand increases the environmental and social footprint associated with this expansion. The ASC certification and labelling programme incentivises improved farming practices by promoting the benefits of responsibly farmed seafood in the market to encourage industry towards achieving environmental sustainability and social responsibility. For more information go to www.asc-aqua.org.
The ASC is currently seeking a Commercial Manager, Japan to contribute to the further uptake of the ASC programme in Japan with a focus on downstream supply chain companies such as retailers, brands and their suppliers
- Promote the ASC’s mission and vision among the seafood industry and related stakeholders in Japan to gain support.
- Contribute to the market specific Country work plan to expand market presence in Japan and build awareness for the ASC programme (key stakeholders, commercial partners, activities and resources needed).
- Strengthen and deepen our relationships with committed key retailers and branded companies.
- Engage and increase the number of suppliers in those key market segments and promote and drive uptake of Chain of Custody (CoC) certification.
- Engage closely with CoC partners in Japan, service them in their needs to confidently source and sell certified seafood and explore ways to increase the number of ASC labelled products.
- Create and lever opportunities of commercial partners in communication and marketing efforts to promote certified seafood to end-consumers and build recognition of the ASC logo.
- Collaborate closely with ASC’s communication team to support commercial partners in their marketing needs and champion them (through PR) when reaching important mile-stones.
- Collaborate closely with ASC’s Programme Assurance Team to educate and inform partners to maintain the credibility and integrity of the ASC certification and labelling programme.
- Coordinate and organise ASC events for supply chain companies from Japan or companies interested in certification.
- Provide feedback to ASC about expectations and wishes of commercial partners regarding the further development of the ASC programme and actively engage commercial Japanese partners in relevant technical projects and revisions to further improve the our programme.
- Strengthening the collaboration with the MSC in support of ASC’s efforts to service the Japanese market.
- Any other duties, as requested by the General Manager Japan.
Required skills and experience
- Educated to a degree level or equivalent qualification.
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Japanese.
- Solid proven and relevant working experience, with an established network in the Japanese seafood and / or sustainability sector.
- Solid knowledge about the role of certification in the seafood sector, knowledge of environmental and sustainability issues and insight into the evolving, global landscape of sustainable seafood.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Proven stakeholder management experience.
- A sound business attitude being result-oriented, at the same time you listen and have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to garner support and cooperation.
- Proven ability to drive forward a successful joint working relationship with external partners turning a client into an ambassador.
- Good writing skills both for daily communication, but also for corporate outreach materials.
- Good judgement and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional organisational skills, experience with planning and executing outreach sessions and events.
- Ability to work as part of a globally operating team, but also the skills and character to work remotely.
- An enthusiastic, self-motivating and fun colleague to work with.
Please e-mail a covering letter and CV in Japanese and English detailing how you meet the criteria above to: email@example.com by 16 August 2019
Applications will be reviewed and a short list of candidates will be invited to take part in an initial interview. Successful candidates will be asked to an interview in person at a location to be determined and will be required to prepare a presentation to demonstrate communication proficiency.