Director of Marketing Communications
Accountable to: Senior Director Markets and Communications
Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience
Contract period: Permanent Full Time
Location: UK based, with good links to London (EU may be considered for the right candidate)
In just 10 years the ASC has successfully established its certification programme in many markets around the world and today thousands of seafood products on sale carry the ASC label. But there is a lot more to be done to ensure that aquaculture continues to expand and feed a growing population without unintentional social and environmental harm affecting local communities and ecosystems.
In the coming months the ASC will implement workstreams to support the outcomes of a recent strategy review. Greater emphasis is being placed on demonstrating value to our stakeholders, expanding the standards and services the ASC offers, ensuring the programme retains its leadership position and evidencing the positive impact that results from ASC certification.
As part of this value-led drive, the ASC brand, its communication, marketing, outreach and engagement with stakeholders are being bought together to ensure ‘Markets and Communications’ around the world is integrated, efficient, and sharing best practice.
In order to further promote awareness and support for ASC certified farms and certified product, we will be scaling up our marketing and communications activities in key markets to a range of audiences. Central to our messaging will be the positioning and evidencing of the ASC as the highest and most effective standard of responsible aquaculture practice.
For all markets this will require an examination of their audiences and a review of how we currently engage or intend to engage consumers and stakeholders. A great deal of the insight generation and development work will be executed in-country but the ASC is a global brand with high stakeholder-expectations of quality, consistency and approach. All marketing and communications needs to be integrated and coordinated to bring our brand to life and to realise its full value.
The Director of Marketing Communications (DMC) will combine vision, creativity and innovation with exceptional communication and interpersonal skills as well as leadership, energy and encouragement to help the ASC and in particular the marketing and communications team achieve its ambitions. This is a new and exciting role, which provides a tremendous opportunity for the post holder to make an enormous, high-level contribution towards the delivery of ASC’s mission.
The post holder will be part of the ASC’s Senior Management Team [SMT] and will be required to contribute to the collective management and strategic development of the organisation. This will include providing cross-organisational support as required and representation of the organisation internationally with high level stakeholders internationally.
- Lead the development of marketing and communications excellence at the ASC and ensure delivery of an audience centric strategy which will use global and market insight to support, inspire and engage all of our stakeholders and provide genuine value to them.
- Lead and fulfil the global marketing and communications strategy(ies) to deliver more impactful and efficient plans, programmes, products and activities along with improved stakeholder engagement and return on investment.
- Oversee global strategic and corporate content across all channels to shape and share the credibility, impact and importance of the ASC and that inspire audiences to take action.
- Engage with teams in the annual cycle of business planning to ensure the marketing and communications strategy is reflected within their plans and expected to contribute to their objectives.
- Embed marketing and communications professionalism to create, develop and establish ways of working that lead to greater consistency and capability globally in all communication with external stakeholders.
- Lead a strategic approach to marketing and communications development to ensure a balanced portfolio of resources to meet audience opportunities and stakeholder needs and expectations.
- Lead and inspire ongoing and consistent application of the brand’s identity across all teams, communication channels and materials.
- Line manage the central marketing and communications team.
- Support the ASC’s Director of Market Development to develop a consistent and inspiring centre of market excellence to ensure teams around the world work together, with their stakeholders, and have the tools, guidance, encouragement and support to achieve the ASC’s ambitious as well as critical market development goals.
- Support the Senior Director of Marketing to ensure the ASC commits to and provides sufficient resources and investment for marketing and communications development in order to achieve both its annual and medium-term objectives.
- Ensure effective prioritisation of the global marketing and communications resource allocation and deployment to enable the achievement of strategies and plans across the organisation.
- Degree or equivalent experience, preferably in marketing or communications discipline.
- Extensive experience in a similar role in a company, agency or organization, with responsibility for developing, managing and/or operating marketing and communications strategies preferably in an environmental, NGO or food/retail related context.
- Extensive knowledge and practical experience of brand, marketing and creative industries, with existing contacts and networks highly desirable.
- Significant experience of co-ordinating internal and external partners and stakeholders in successful delivery of projects or campaigns.
- Proven experience of producing high quality campaign concepts, toolkits and associated materials across a global network.
- Strong track record of on-time, on-budget and to-specification delivery of projects – ability to deliver multiple simultaneous projects, and of managing multiple project teams.
- Experience of using digital and social media platforms in support of objectives.
- Experience of delivering communications focused on environmental and sustainability issues an advantage. Knowledge of third party certification schemes and the role of eco-labeling an advantage.
- Keen sense of new and upcoming trends, especially in the digital engagement.
- Strategic thinker, able to grasp complex and intellectually challenging idea and communicate with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Great computer literacy, including high levels of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to communicate complex issues in a clear manner to a wide variety of senior stakeholders across diverse channels.
- Excellence in written communication, including experience in to-the-point copywriting and/or in guiding and working with high-level teams and individuals.
- Demonstrable leadership and influencing skills and an ability to work as part of a team to deliver complex projects.
- Articulate, creative, passionate, flexible and tenacious: ability to get results and to be persistent and enthusiastic in achieving these.
- Good sense for language as well as for design.
- Attention to detail, diplomacy and discretion.
- Ability to make decisions in a rapidly changing environment.
- Confidence and ability to gain credibility with and the respect of staff at all levels of the ASC, and to build effective relationships with colleagues, stakeholders, suppliers and collaborators, with a people-centred and consultative approach to business and work essential Influencing, negotiating and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to combine self-management when working alone with productive team membership.
- Empathy and interest in the ASC’s mission and objectives.
Please email a CV and a covering letter detailing how you meet the criteria above to: email@example.com
Application closing date: 7th April 2020. ASC reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive suitable application.