Responsible to: Finance Director
Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience
Contract: Full Time
Location: UK based, working from home/Croydon Office
The Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) is an independent, non-profit organisation, which sets global standards for responsible aquaculture. ASC promotes responsible aquaculture to consumers through the use of its logo on certified products.
The aquaculture industry is growing strongly and is already supplying more than half of all seafood consumed worldwide, but this growing demand increases the environmental and social footprint associated with this expansion. The ASC certification and labelling programme incentivises improved farming practices by promoting the benefits of responsibly farmed seafood in the market to encourage industry towards achieving environmental sustainability and social responsibility.
The ASC is currently seeking a Finance Controller to work alongside the Finance Director and help shape the long-term financial viability of the ASC to ensure it can achieve its vision and deliver its mission in the most cost effective and efficient manner. In doing so, you will play a key and developing role within an organisation that will grow as its programmatic reach expands, its revenue base increases and its staff compliment enlarges. You will combine vision, creativity and innovation with good communication skills, energy and a sense of fun. The role will be based in the UK but will be supporting teams operating from the Netherlands and other areas worldwide. Continued international expansion is anticipated within the ASC’s strategic plan.
- Manage interim and year-end audit and statutory accounts and liaise with the external auditors
- Ensure that all of the company’s financial practices are in line with statutory regulations and legislation
- Manage a variety of balance sheet / P&L areas
- Lead ASC’s financial system upgrade (Sage50 Professional to Sage200)
- Review the accuracy and completeness of transactions, payment runs, and month end process
- Provide timely cashflow statements
- Improve existing reporting formats, internal controls, policy and procedure
- Assist and support in the development of our Financial Assistant
Required skills and experience
- Solid experience in a Finance role, ideally in the international non-profit sector
- Experience of dealing with a wide range of people from different backgrounds and the ability to adapt your approach accordingly
- An understanding of stakeholder-led third party certification programmes would be an advantage
- Good time management and organisational skills with a methodical attitude to work tasks and a high attention to detail
- Confidence to raise issues and challenge processes or practices in order to improve efficiency
- Pro-active and self-motivated with a positive ‘can do’ attitude and an ability to plan and generate solutions to changing priorities.
- Team player, willing to learn and get involved with a wide range of tasks
- Show support for ASC Group values and work with a professional approach demonstrating the highest levels of honesty, integrity and discretion.
- Highly IT literate, including strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Recognised accountancy qualification
- Flexibility for travel
Please email a covering letter and CV detailing how you meet the criteria above to: email@example.com
Application closing date: 27th September 2019
Interview date: 4th October 2019
Applications will be reviewed and a short list of candidates will be invited to take part in an interview to discuss their skills and experience on 4th October 2019.