Regular operational reviews ensure the continued efficiency of the various ASC standards. They are focused on areas where the performance of a particular standard is not as anticipated, or may not deliver on the intent as set out in the ASC’s Theory of Change.
August 2020 Update – CAR V2.3 & RUoC Public Consultation
Two new normative documents are being published for a 60-day public consultation (3 August – 3 October 2020) Status: Closed
- ASC CAR v2.3
- ASC Requirements for Units of Certification (RUoC)
The two documents provide structure that further strengthens a number of areas across the certification process from application to certification decision and subsequent surveillance and certification updates.
The main areas of change in the CAR v2.3 include:
- new structure following the certification process,
- inclusion of Q&A and Variance Requests (VRs),
- new areas to strengthen assurance (e.g. sampling & testing, traceability evaluation, remote auditing, unannounced audits, non conformity reporting by clients, critical non conformities, due diligence),
- reporting requirements,
- changes from ‘working days’ to ‘calendar days’.
The new ASC RUoC has been created with a similar structure to the amended CAR (also following the certification process) to facilitate better understanding of how to comply with the certification process requirements for the applicant/certificate holder.
ASC encourages interested stakeholders to read the documents and provide comments, notably on a series of six questions. Following the public consultation, ASC will collate all feedback and prepare a synopsis of feedback received for publication on the ASC website.
Click here to read the Summary of Public Consultation Feedback on ASC CAR 2.3 and ASC RUoC 1.0
Contact person: Efrain Calderon, Head of Certification Assurance Team
It is anticipated that the ASC CAR v 2.3 and ASC RUoC will become effective and mandatory from July 2023 onwards.
Previous public consultation (14 March – 14 May 2019):
ASC had taken steps to strengthen the assurance system for social audits with additions to the Certification and Accreditation Requirements (CAR) with notably the inclusion of a new Social Audit Methodology (SAM).
Those proposed 2019 updates to the CAR were to be considered by:
- first reading the Social Auditing Methodology narrative,
- then reviewing Annex F – Templates for social auditing,
- and ASC Social Risk Assessment Calculator.
Click here to read the Summary of Public Consultation Feedback on ASC Social Audit Methodology.
[Page last updated on 14.07.2022]
- 14 March - 14 May 2019
- Status: Closed
- ASC CAR Public Consultation Draft 2019
- ASC Social Auditing Methodology Narrative Draft 2019
- Annex F - Templates for social auditing
- ASC Social Risk Assessment Calculator
- Summary of Public Consultation Feedback on ASC Social Audit Methodology
Feedback on the proposed updates to the social audit requirements can be submitted in the following manner:
- Survey on the ASC Social Audit Methodology
- Feedback on the strengthened Social Auditing Methodology:
- Via the Stakeholder Comment Submission Form
Webinars on the Social Auditing Methodology for the CAR will take place on the following time and date:
- 2 May 2019, 14:00 CET
Registration for one of the webinars above can be done by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org please include in your email:
- 1. First name
- 2. Family name
- 3. Company/organisation
- 4. Email address
Dial-in information will be shared upon registration.