Your opinion matters… have your say now on the new ASC Farm Standard!
From September 1st until October 31st ASC invites your feedback on the upcoming ASC Farm Standard – Fish Health and Welfare and Benthic Impacts.
How to get involved:
- Deep dive into the proposed ASC Farm Standard, find out about the process on this webpage and find the complete set of consultation documents here – including translations of selected documents in Bahasa Indonesia, French, German, Japanese, Mandarin, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish and Vietnamese.
- Find out how the proposal compares to the current Farm Standards in the ASC Farm Standards Comparison Tool.
- Complete the consultation survey here.
The ASC Fish Welfare project aims to identify key impacts of aquaculture on farmed aquatic animal welfare and develop new best practice indicators for ASC’s Farm Standard.
The ASC is committed to public consultations of new programme requirements to ensure final proposals consider input from affected stakeholders.
ASC Project: Fish Welfare
Animal – including farmed aquatic animal – welfare is increasingly considered as a key factor in defining ‘responsible’ production and determining the social acceptability of an animal production system. The quality of products coming from these systems are increasingly being judged on this.
The main objective of this ASC work is to expand the current indicators on fish welfare in ASC’s existing standards to a more comprehensive set of best practice indicators across all species currently within scope of ASC’s Standards. This will use extensive recent research in this area and expertise from across relevant sectors. It is foreseen that the indicators developed as a result of the ASC’s Fish Welfare project will be embedded within the aligned ASC Farm Standard currently in development.
ASC launched this ‘Fish Welfare’ project with an initial Public Consultation in 2019 (September 20-October 20, 2019). A second consultation took place in September and October 2021, which sought feedback on the initial recommended approaches developed by the Technical Working Group (TWG) as well as targeted practical and technical input from producers and retailers. Currently, the Animal Welfare TWG is developing content on some additional fish welfare issues and will consider consultation feedback and revise proposals accordingly. In September and October 2022, the full set of draft fish welfare indicators will go through a final round of consultation.
Contact person: Meritxell Diez Padrisa – Fish Health and Welfare Standards Manager
- ASC launches consultation on new requirements to improve welfare of farmed fish
- ASC launches public consultation on Fish Health and Welfare and Benthic Impacts in ASC Farm Standard
[Page last updated on 01.09.2022]
- 1 September to 31 October 2021
- Status: Closed
- Consultation Summary: Recommendations for Revised ASC Indicators on Fish Welfare
- Consultation Document: Recommendations for Revised ASC Indicators on Fish Welfare
- Public Consultation - Fish Welfare - General Online Survey
- Public Consultation - Fish Welfare - Producer Online Survey
- Public Consultation - Fish Welfare - Retail and Brands Survey
- ASC Fish Welfare Public Consultation Summary Report
- September 20 - October 20, 2019
- Status: Closed