Reporting to: Market Development Director
Department: Markets and Communications
Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience
Contract: Full time position
Location: preferably UK or Netherlands, however strong candidates from other Western European locations will be considered
Travel: Travelling within Europe is (normally) part of the job, you must be willing to travel internationally when required.
About the ASC
The Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) is an independent, not-for-profit organisation established in 2010 to set and operate global standards for responsible aquaculture. Certified farmed products are promoted to consumers through the use of its ASC logo.
The aquaculture industry is growing strongly and is already supplying more than half of all seafood consumed worldwide, but this growing demand increases the environmental and social footprint associated with its expansion. The ASC certification and labelling programme incentivises improved farming practices by promoting the benefits of responsibly farmed seafood and encourages an industry towards achieving environmental sustainability and social responsibility.
We work across the globe with aquaculture producers, seafood processors, retail and foodservice companies, scientists, conservation groups and the public to make it possible to recognise and buy farmed seafood that meets the highest standards.
For more information, go to www.asc-aqua.org
About the position:
Over the last 10 years, the ASC has seen a great uptake in the market place with around 20,000 ASC labelled products being sold worldwide. Europe is currently still the most important region for the ASC, with key markets such as Germany, France and the Netherlands and emerging opportunities in the UK and in Southern and Eastern European markets.
The Regional Manager Europe will be responsible for deepening the penetration in key mature markets and expanding the market presence in promising emerging countries across the region. The postholder will provide leadership and direction to the workplans of a growing team of staff consisting of market development staff and marketing/ communications staff.
We are seeking an inspiring leader and team player, who understands how to increase market uptake for the ASC and who combines this with excellent stakeholder management (both commercial and NGOs) and business development experience.
Responsibilities of the role:
Leading the European market development team:
- Manage, motivate and empower local staff and teams operating in prioritised European markets to prioritise work appropriately and to develop a cohesive team;
- Ensure country and individual workplans deepen market presence and promote ASC’s value and brand;
- Strengthen internal systems to share best practices across the team.
Drive the further penetration of ASC in Europe:
- Aligned with ASC’s strategy implement tactics to expand ASC’s presence in Europe;
- Collaborate with ASC’s producer outreach programme to ensure certified supply can meet demand for ASC labelled products in Europe;
- Working with the ASC Global Brand & Marcoms team identify and lever opportunities to promote the ASC brand with key partners, consumers and influencers across the region;
- Liaise with key commercial partners regards future technical development needs of the ASC programme;
- Identify issues to the effective delivery of the programme, and contribute to findingsolutions to those obstacles;
- Manage selected key European accounts (both commercial and NGOs);
- Promote the ASC to the seafood industry at conferences and events;
- Develop strong collaboration with MSC in support of ASC’s efforts to service commercial partners and other stakeholders
Key Qualifications and Experience
- Post graduate degree or equivalent professional qualification;
- Substantial experience working with retailers, food service companies and brands involving sales and marketing;
- Able to lead and inspire a dispersed team and be inspired by and committed to team development;
- With a sound business development attitude help shape strategic thinking to bring value to ASC’s commercial clients
- Understanding of the key factors driving demand for the ASC and the ability to convert this to drive partner and influencer engagement;
- Be comfortable being an ASC advocate with diverse and sometimes critical stakeholders;
- Knowledge of certification programmes and/or the seafood sector is an advantage, international operating experience is a must
- And, importantly, be an enthusiastic and fun colleague to work with.
- Excellent written and spoken English, knowledge of additional European language(s) is a plus
Please e-mail your cover letter and CV (in English) detailing how you meet the criteria to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your CV and cover letter will be reviewed and a short list of candidates will be invited to take part in initial interviews. Successful candidates might be asked to prepare additional written materials (in Dutch) and/or a presentation.