Responsible to: Market Development Manager for the Netherlands, regular exchange with the global Marketing and Communications team
Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience
Contract: Full-time, terms to be discussed
Date written: January 27, 2021
About the ASC
The Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) is an independent, not-for-profit organisation established in 2010 to set and operate global standards for responsible aquaculture. Certified farmed products are promoted to consumers through the use of its ASC logo.
The aquaculture industry is growing strongly and is already supplying more than half of all seafood consumed worldwide, but this growing demand increases the environmental and social footprint associated with its expansion. The ASC certification and labelling programme incentivises improved farming practices by promoting the benefits of responsibly farmed seafood and encourages an industry towards achieving environmental sustainability and social responsibility.
We work across the globe with aquaculture producers, seafood processors, retail and foodservice companies, scientists, conservation groups and the public to make it possible to recognize and buy farmed seafood that meets the highest standards.
For more information, go to www.asc-aqua.org
In order to further drive success of the programme in the Netherlands, we are seeking a dynamic, hands-on Communications Manager. In close collaboration with the Market Development Manager for the Netherlands and in alignment with the ASC Global Marketing & Communication Strategy, the Communications Manager will increase the public profile of the ASC programme and its logo in the Dutch market and contribute to a growing trust in what the programme brings in making aquaculture more responsible.
As Communications Manager you will have the exciting and challenging task of developing and implementing a comprehensive Communications Strategy, monitoring and improving the ASC Dutch website and social media channels, creating digital media materials targeted to diverse audiences and managing emerging issues in social media and beyond. You will also lead on traditional media work.
- Develop and execute, in close collaboration with the Market Development Manager for the Netherlands and the global Marketing and Communications Team, a Communications Strategy that supports growth of the programme in the country (including tactics for key audiences, channels and issue management).
- Translate the above strategy into operational plans and take the lead in executing these.
- Lead on establishing and growing Dutch ASC social media channels (Facebook and Instagram) by creating content relevant to key audiences
- Improving and updating the ASC’s Dutch website asc-aqua.org/nl, as well as creating content for it.
- Community management: monitor relevant social media conversations using the ASC’s social media monitoring tools; respond to and participate in conversations about the ASC on social media sites, ensuring that the ASC’s presence on these reflects the ASC’s values and messaging
- Media activities: monitor media channels to identify opportunities to position the ASC programme, write press releases and respond to media inquiries.
- Issue management: lead on issues management communications including development of Q&As and key messages to address areas of concern.
- Strategic development of social media and paid media for integrated multi-channel marketing and communications campaigns, partly together with commercial partners and non-commercial partners.
- Monitoring and analysing of the performance of ASC’s digital platforms.
- Provide support and develop online assets for campaigns.
- A degree in a relevant field (marketing, media or communications), advanced degree or equivalent, preferred, as well as strong and relevant working experience in a similar role.
- General communications professional with experience in digital marketing, website and social media management and preferably SEO.
- Ability to translate complex and technical content into non-expert and exciting messages for the selected audiences across diverse channels.
- Advanced IT skills. Experience in using CMS tools, analytical programmes (Google Analytics, Kissmetrics) or engagement tools (HootSuite). Experience with graphic programs (Photoshop, InDesign etc.) an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills in Dutch (mother tongue) and English.
- Ability to build effective relationships with staff, agencies and service providers and commercial and other partners, with a people-centred and consultative approach to business and work essential.
- Knowledge of design, image and video editing software is an advantage.
- Experience in community management.
- Experience of delivering communications focused on environmental and (seafood) sustainability issues an advantage.
- Strong project management, planning and time-management skills.
- Pro-active, articulate, creative, passionate, flexible and tenacious: ability to get results and to be persistent and enthusiastic in achieving these.
- Self-motivated and comfortable to work independently with a high degree of personal responsibility.
- Affinity with and interest in the ASC’s mission and values and above all a positive, enthusiastic and fun colleague to work with
Please e-mail your cover letter and CV (in English) via: email@example.com. Please also send us a text example in Dutch that you have written (e.g. a page for a website, a text for a social media campaign or an advert), preferably for a consumer audience.
Selection process: your CV, cover letter and writing sample will be reviewed. A short list of candidates will be invited to take part in initial interviews. Successful candidates might be asked to interview in person (or virtually, depending on the COVID-19 situation) and could be required to prepare additional written materials and / or a presentation.