Responsible to: Commercial Marketing Manager (France & Belgium)
Department: Market Development with regular exchange with the global Marketing and Communications team
Salary & benefits: Commensurate with experience
Contract: Full Time is preferable
Location: Preferably France. ASC supports remote / flexible working, therefore candidates from other locations may also be considered if skills and experience align
Start Date: Ideally, September 2022
ASC is an independent, not-for-profit organisation established in 2010 to set and operate global standards for responsible aquaculture. Certified farmed products are promoted to consumers through the use of its ASC-logo.
The aquaculture industry is growing strongly and is already supplying more than half of all seafood consumed worldwide, but this growing demand increases the environmental and social footprint associated with this expansion. The ASC certification and labelling programme incentivises improved farming practices by promoting the benefits of responsibly farmed seafood and encourages an industry towards achieving environmental sustainability and social responsibility.
We work across the globe with aquaculture producers, seafood processors, retail and foodservice companies, scientists, conservation groups and the public to make it very easy to recognize and buy farmed seafood that meets the highest environmental standards.
For more information, go to www.asc-aqua.org
ASC has experienced tremendous growth over less than a decade of operations. The French market has known spectacular growth over the last few years and has become one of the most important markets for ASC since 2017.
As the number of products continues to grow, so too does the importance of communicating about responsible aquaculture and the role of the ASC programme in achieving better environmental and social outcomes for the industry.
In order to further drive success of the programme in France, we are seeking a dynamic, hands-on Communications Manager. It will be the task of the Communications Manager to increase the public profile of the ASC programme and its label in the French market and to contribute to a growing trust in what the programme brings in making aquaculture more responsible.
- Contribute to positioning the ASC brand within the French market and maintain a strong and coherent tone of voice for ASC among all communications elements and all channels
- Develop and execute, in close collaboration with the ASC team for France as well as the global Marketing and Communications team, a communication strategy that supports the growth of the program in the French market
- Translate the strategies into operational planning and take the lead in executing, showing a great understanding of the communication preferences in the French market
- Measure and monitor the set communication targets for the French market
- Support marketing/commercial campaigns promoting the ASC program by creating relevant content for each type of stakeholders (commercial partners, NGOs, journalists, consumers)
- Ensure the technical and science-based strengths of the ASC programme are accessible and engaging for all audiences
- Monitor media channels and the wider communication landscape to understand opportunities to proactively position the ASC program in those channels
- Respond to media inquiries and interview requests
- With the support of a PR agency, develop strong and engaging content for press releases
- When possible, organize press events for journalists (press trip, press lunch) with the help of the agency
- Monitor emerging issues related to ASC’s work and industry trends
- Lead on issues management communications including development of Q&As and key messages to address areas of concern
- Develop proactive and pre-emptive tactics to resolve issues
- Reach out to institutions, NGOs, event organizers, and other landscape shapers to seek joint communication opportunities
- Find and participate in ocean/sustainability events in France to leverage PR and our visibility
- Lead on content management for the French ASC website, in line with the global digital strategy
- Use the relevant talking points to answer comments on social media and emails from consumers on aquaculture pressing issues
The ideal candidate will be native in French and fluent in English and have experience:
- developing and implementing comprehensive communication plans
- creating communications materials targeted to diverse audiences
- managing emerging issues in traditional and social media
- building up relations with the press and other landscape-shapers
The ability to communicate to a high standard, both in writing and verbally is a must, as is the ability to anticipate and act upon critical issues concerning aquaculture and ASC. You will need to be a team player, who understands how to deliver upon your responsibilities in the relevant market while maintaining a strong and consistent profile that is in line with global strategies.
Technical Skills and Experience
- A degree in a relevant field, preferable a communications or media discipline, advanced degree or equivalent preferred.
- Solid proven and relevant working experience in a similar role in a company, agency, or organization
- Proven responsibility for developing, managing, and/or operating communication, PR, and media plans, preferably in an NGO or food/retail-related context
- An existing network of NGOs, institutions, and ocean-related organizations is a strong plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – a very good copy-writer – with the ability to translate complex and technical content into non-expert messages for the selected audiences across diverse channels
- A good understanding of media needs and media relationships especially in France
- Native French speaker and fluency in English as the ASC organizational language
- Pro-active, articulate, creative, passionate, flexible and tenacious: ability to get results and to be persistent and enthusiastic in achieving thes
- Good sense for language as well as for design
- Strong project management, planning and time-management skills with a pro-active “can-do” personality with willingness to take initiative to improve current practice
- Ability to build effective relationships with staff, agencies and service providers and commercial and other partners, with a people-centred and consultative approach to business and work essential
- Affinity with and interest in the ASC’s mission and values and above all a positive, enthusiastic and fun colleague to work with
- An established network with journalists and relevant stakeholders within the seafood sector is a plus
- Be part of an organisation who are really making a difference
- Flexible / Remote working opportunities
- 25 days holiday
- Competitive benefits
- Work station grant
- Flexible fitness grant
- Paid time to volunteer, up to 6 days per year
- Annual all staff team retreat
- 1 free coffee a week!
Application and selection process
Please e-mail your cover letter and CV in English, as well as a writing sample in French where possible, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your CV and cover letter will be reviewed and a short list of candidates will be invited to take part in initial interviews. Successful candidates might be asked to prepare additional written materials and / or a presentation.