Responsible to: ASC Commercial Director
Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience
Contract: 32 or 40 hours per week
Location: Preferably the Netherlands or in Europe (and fluent in Dutch)
Date written: 1 December 2021
ASC is an independent, not-for-profit organisation established in 2010. We now have over 90 employees working all around the world, to set and operate global standards for responsible aquaculture by promoting certified farmed products to consumers, through the use of our logo.
The aquaculture industry is growing strongly and is already supplying more than half of all seafood consumed worldwide, but this growing demand increases the environmental and social footprint associated with this expansion. The ASC certification and labelling programme incentivise improved farming practices by promoting the benefits of responsibly farmed seafood and encourages an industry towards achieving environmental sustainability and social responsibility. The ASC has also developed, in collaboration with the Marine Sterwardship Council (MSC), a standard and certification for seaweed producers.
The ASC programme is non-for profit and voluntary. And therefore collaboration is key – only with industry, NGOs and all others who want to participate we can make a difference. We work with aquaculture producers, seafood processors, retail and foodservice companies, scientists, conservation groups and the public globally to promote the best environmental and social choice in farmed seafood.
Together with other dedicated partners, ASC wants to convene an annual global conference and summit within a main sector of the seafood industry.
For more information go to www.asc-aqua.org.
We are looking for an experienced, dynamic and highly motivated Conference Business and Operations Manager.
The postholder is responsible for coordinating planning, execution and budget/ financial management of conference activities. The manager will be hired by ASC and seconded to organize the conference. He/ she will spend the majority of his/ her time on project management, assuring an effective and efficient collaboration in the conference team – CEO and Board and ASC teams – and liaising with key stakeholders externally.
Key responsibilities include
- Overall project management, coordination and quality control of the planning phase, implementation and execution of the conference – coordinating internally and including effective stakeholder management with sponsors, delegates, external speakers, external service providers, media, etc.
- Be part of an established ASC conference project team, including Conference CEO, relevant ASC stall members, a Professional Conference Organization (PCO) and advisors and with sponsors, partners and external service providers on conference organization:
- Support the definition of objectives for the conference, set KPIs for 2022
- Support the identification and coordinate engagement of sponsors, plenary session speakers, session leads/chairs, speakers and delegates
- Support and coordinate programme planning, i.e. plenary sessions, break out session and social programme
- Partner with CPO for efficient delivery of delegate services, hotel management and the exhibition during conference (e.g. venue management, registration and billing services, hotel planning, registration integration with website etc.)
- Coordination and negotiation with other external service providers
- Scheduling and management of local transport services
- Responsible for managing the conference budget, financial reports, P&L reviews (in close collaboration with ASC Finance team) and for regular reporting on these to Conference CEO to ensure the most efficient use of resources
- Support the CEO in ensuring the overall smooth, efficient and effective running of the conference, including regular review of performance delivery against objectives/ KPIs, emerging risks and challenges and mitigation plans to address them
- Lead and responsible for the delivery of social programme/ events as part of the conference programme (e.g. welcome reception, tours etc.)
- Coordinating and overseeing management of conference contracts – e.g. sponsors, external service providers -, in collaboration with Conference CEO, relevant ASC staff and maintaining a central archive
- Coordinate the evaluation of the conference in all its facets (performance, processes, structure and design facilitating feedback from sponsors and delegates, lessons learnt by service providers, best practices of our comms and marketing plan, and budget) and provide a comprehensive evaluation report about this to CEO and Board
- Support the CEO in the development of a multiyear strategic business plan for the conference in line with purpose of the Foundation under the direction of the Board
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a Conference handbook, guidelines, tools and best practices for effective management of resources and the provision of high quality services
Qualifications, skills & experience
- An (applied) university degree in/with a focus on event or project management, public relations, communications, busines, marketing or other relevant discipline
- Substantial professional experience in co-ordinating and supporting large professional events in an international environment
- Experience in contracting and supervising outsourced external contractors
- Experience in managing project budgets on target
- Knowledge of objectives/ KPIs and promotional and marketing tactics for event management
- International business background and working in a multicultural environment would be a strong advantage
- Good knowledge of the use of the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and the ability to quickly learn relevant software tools used
- Fluent in Dutch and English and preferably good working knowledge of Spanish
- Skilled in project management, highly organised
- Excellent time management skills, ability to prioritise and to multi-task, while also having attention to detail and to the quality of work planning processes
- Budget management experience and decent math skills
- Great team player, considerate, supportive and pleasant to be with
- Understanding the tasks needed to be done, but also comfortable in delegating and coordinating
- Confident professional and an ambitious do-er
- Sound commercial insight, focused on reaching results, having a customer-service orientation and a decent understanding of marketing tactics for events
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Convincing persuasive skills and diplomacy in working with a variety of stakeholders and with a diverse range of people, being industry leaders, senior executives and managers in order to win their support
- Strong analytical skills
- Flexible and adaptable, seeking opportunities, able to identify issues proactively and finding ways to overcome them
- Willingness to work on site for periods of time
- Calm under pressure
- Interest in environmental and social issues
Application and selection process
Please e-mail your cover letter and CV (in English) via: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your CV and cover letter will be reviewed and a short list of candidates will be invited to take part in initial interviews. Successful candidates might be asked to prepare additional written materials (in Dutch) and/or a presentation.
Application closing date: 6th January 2022
We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the global community