Responsible to: Head of Information Management
Salary and benefits: TBD and based on experience
Contract: 1 FTE
Location: Ideally UK or NL but other locations may be considered.
ASC is an independent, not-for-profit organisation established in 2010 to set and operate global standards for responsible aquaculture. Certified farmed products are promoted to consumers through the use of its logo.
The aquaculture industry is growing strongly and is already supplying more than half of all seafood consumed worldwide. With this growing demand comes an increased environmental and social footprint. The ASC certification and labelling programme incentivises improved farming practices by promoting the benefits of responsibly farmed seafood and encourages an industry towards achieving environmental sustainability and social responsibility.
The ASC is a growing organisation. We have around 75 people working from various countries, including the Netherlands, UK, Germany, Spain, Australia, Japan, China, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, Brazil and the US. There are five functional Departments covering: Standards and Science, Programme Assurance, Market development, Marketing and Communication, Administration/Governance. We operate an office in Utrecht (NL) and in London (UK) for staff based in these countries.
The Program Assurance Department is made up of two Teams: 1) Certification Assurance Team, 2) Supply Chain Assurance Team. Together, these teams cover work streams that deal with program assurance management of standards certification and supply chain assurance designed to underwrite the ASC Logo. The Department currently consists of 11 staff, each responsible for a combination of specific projects in addition to ASC program assurance.
We work with aquaculture producers, seafood processors, retail and foodservice companies, scientists, conservation groups and the public globally to promote the best environmental and social choice in farmed seafood. For more information go to www.asc-aqua.org.
This role will require experience in designing and maintaining data systems and databases, and the ability to analyse data into usable information. ASC is transforming to a data-driven approach to decision making, and it will be a key responsibility of this position to communicate the data for internal use and external audiences to further the role of the Program Assurance Team at ASC.
Role and responsibilities
The Data Analyst will become well versed in the organization and business objectives, define key performance indicators based on those objectives, and provide relevant analysis, insights, and appropriate actions. At a high level the position will be responsible for: Leading the data Quality Assurance work stream for Program Assurance; maintain continued compliance/alignment with ISEAL Assurance Code, GSSI and other initiative(s); coordinate with ASC’s Monitoring and Evaluation Team on behalf of the Program Assurance Team.
Duties will consist of:
- Data sorting, cleaning, management, and analysis of submitted data for the development of reports.
- Assisting in the compilation and updating of evidence relevant for ensuring continued compliance against the ISEAL impacts code.
- Provide quality assurance of imported data, working with quality assurance analysts if necessary and communicating with certificate holders as appropriate to correct data errors.
- Support initiatives for data integrity and normalization.
- Conduct gap analysis to support further development of data collections and improve data processing.
- Develop reports and analytics using the Tableau visual analytics platform.
- Develop interactive graphics to support data-informed decision making.
- Commissioning and decommissioning of data sets.
- Write code and navigate databases across various software.
- Provide technical expertise in data storage structures, data mining, and data cleansing.
Desired Education and Experience
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- Proven experience as a data analyst or in a related field.
- Critical thinking / experience evaluating technical information and ability to self-manage multiple work streams.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in computer science.
- Ability to work with stakeholders to assess potential risks and deliver solutions.
- Demonstrated skills in data analysis presentation and report writing.
- Understanding of database structure, with data management and analysis capabilities.
- Ability to write effectively and communicate ideas clearly.
- Able to think and work independently, systematically and to make pragmatic decisions.
- Experience of working with NGO’s and/or Standard Setting Organizations and an understanding of issues in seafood sustainability and the role of farm certification plays in these initiatives would be desirable…and not unimportant …be an enthusiastic, self-motivated and fun colleague to work with!
Please e-mail a cover letter and CV (in English) to: email@example.com by 5th November 2021.
Selection process: Your CV and cover letter will be reviewed. A short list of candidates will be invited to take part in interview.
We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the global community and therefore particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.