Digital Communications Manager
Responsible to: Market Development Manager Netherlands, regular exchange with the global Marketing and Communications team
Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience
Contract: 6 Month contract for a self-employed professional (2 days/ week)
Date written: August 2020
The Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) is an independent, not-for-profit organisation established in 2010 to set and operate global standards for responsible aquaculture. Certified farmed products are promoted to consumers through the use of its ASC-logo.
The aquaculture industry is growing strongly and is already supplying more than half of all seafood consumed worldwide, but this growing demand increases the environmental and social footprint associated with this expansion. The ASC certification and labelling programme incentivises improved farming practices by promoting the benefits of responsibly farmed seafood and encourages an industry towards achieving environmental sustainability and social responsibility.
We work across the globe with aquaculture producers, seafood processors, retail and foodservice companies, scientists, conservation groups and the public to make it very easy to recognize and buy farmed seafood that meets the highest environmental standards.
What are we looking for?
In order to further drive success of the programme in the Netherlands, we are seeking a dynamic, hands-on Digital Communications Manager. In close collaboration with the Market Development Manager for the Netherlands and in alignment with the ASC Global Marketing & Communication Strategy, the Digital Communications Manager will increase the public profile of the ASC programme and its logo in the Dutch market and contribute to a growing trust in what the programme brings in making aquaculture more responsible.
The ideal candidate will be native in Dutch and fluent in English and have experience in developing and implementing a comprehensive Digital Communication Strategy, creating digital media materials targeted to diverse audiences and managing emerging issues in social media. The ability to communicate to a high standard is a must, as is the ability to anticipate and act upon critical issues concerning aquaculture and ASC.
Digital Communication Strategy:
- Develop, in close collaboration with the Market Development Manager for the Netherlands and the global Marketing and Communications Team, a Digital Communication Strategy that supports growth of the programme in the market.
- Translate the strategies into an operational planning and take the lead in executing.
- Measure and monitor the set communication targets.
- Lead on establishing and developing the Dutch ASC social media accounts (Facebook and Instagram), in close collaboration with the global Marketing and Communications team.
- Monitor relevant social media conversations using the ASC’s social media monitoring tools.
- Respond to and participate in conversations about the ASC on social media sites, ensuring that the ASC’s presence on these reflects the ASC’s values and messaging, involving other staff and partners where necessary
- Lead on content management for the Dutch ASC website
- A degree in a relevant field, preferable a communications discipline, advanced degree or equivalent preferred.
- Strong and relevant working experience in a similar role in a company, agency or organisation in the Netherlands.
- Proven responsibility for developing a digital communications strategy
- Great computer literacy, including experience with analytical programs (Google Analytics, Kissmetrics) or engagement tools (HootSuite), experience with graphic programs (Photoshop, InDesign etc.) an advantage.
- Experience of delivering communications focused on environmental and (seafood) sustainability issues an advantage.
- Knowledge of the role of third-party certification schemes and eco-labelling in driving change an advantage.
- Native Dutch, fluent in English.
- Strong project management, planning and time-management skills with a pro-active “can-do” personality with willingness to take initiative to improve current practice.
- Keen sense of new and upcoming trends, especially in the digital engagement.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to translate complex and technical content into non-expert messages for the selected audiences across diverse channels.
- Pro-active, articulate, creative, passionate, flexible and tenacious: ability to get results and to be persistent and enthusiastic in achieving these.
- Affinity with and interest in the ASC’s mission and values and above all a positive, enthusiastic and fun colleague to work with.
Application date: ASAP, we will start reviewing from September 28 onwards.
Please e-mail your cover letter and CV (in English) via: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also send us a text example in Dutch that you have written (e.g. a page for a website, a text for a social media campaign or an advert), preferably for a consumer audience.
Selection process: Your CV, cover letter and writing sample will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Short listed candidates will be invited to take part in an interview. Successful candidates might be asked to prepare additional written materials. The vacancy will be closed if a suitable candidate is found.