Responsible to: General Manager Germany, Switzerland and Austria
Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience
Contract: Full time. The ASC supports flexible working arrangements so employees can vary their pattern of hours according to operational and personal needs.
Location: Preferably Germany, however strong candidates from Switzerland and Austria may also be considered
The Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) is an independent, not-for-profit organisation established in 2010. Its certification and labelling program established to help address some of the most pressing social and environmental challenges of our time.
Aquaculture is a critically important source of high-quality protein for the growing global population. Consequently, it is also the fastest growing food production system in the world. As the industry grows, so does its footprint on the environment and impact on local communities.
The ASC sets and operates global standards for aquaculture to identify farms that have met the highest standards for environmentally and socially responsible practices. Its certification requirements demand transparency and stakeholder participation when a farm is seeking certification. The ASC traceability controls throughout the supply chain ensure the provenance of ASC certified and labelled products.
The ASC acts in the marketplace to increase the awareness, value, demand, and distribution of ASC certified and labelled seafood. We work across the globe with aquaculture producers, seafood processors, retail and foodservice companies, scientists, conservation groups and the public globally to promote the best environmental and social choice in farmed seafood. For more information, go to: www.asc-aqua.org
The Market Development Manager will be responsible for deepening and expanding the uptake of ASC’s certification and labelling program in the region, primarily by engaging and servicing commercial partners such as retailers, brands and their suppliers.
You will increase awareness and understanding of the ASC and the role that the ASC plays in delivering solutions to the social and environmental challenges of aquaculture. The position’s primary goals are enhancing the quality of key commercial partner engagement, building effective working relationships and securing new commercial and non-commercial partners and endorsers. The job is all about conveying the value of the ASC programme and our logo. It requires a good understanding of how a third party certification programme works in combination with excellant stakeholder management and business development skills.
Purpose of this role
The Market Development Manager will:
- Effectively contribute to building preference for ASC’s certification and labelling program amongst targeted retailers, brand partners, seafood suppliers and importers
- Maintain and expand relationships with relevant commercial as well as non-commercial stakeholders to foster their commitment to the ASC programme
- Represent and promote the ASC at various levels in the commercial world, aquaculture industry, government and NGO community in these markets
- Expand and strengthen relationships and collaboration with NGOs, other certification programs (ISEAL members) and consumer organisations in building trust and awareness around the ASC certification programme
- Carry the expectations and wishes of commercial partners and non-commercial stakeholders regarding the further development of the ASC programme back into the organisation
- Engage commercial partners and non-commercial stakeholders in the improvement of our programme
- Strenhgthen ASCs market intelligence of the region
- Create and lever opportunities of commercial partners in communication and marketing efforts to promote the ASC programme to end-consumers and build recognition of the ASC label (such as engaging partners in a joint campaign week)
- Collaborate closely with the ASC global and local marcomms department to support commercial partners in their marketing needs and champion them when reaching important milestones related to ASC
Measures of success:
- Increased offer of ASC labelled products with retailers and brand partners in the region
- Increased uptake of Chain of Custody (CoC) certification and use of the ASC logo
- Increased certified domestic and international farm production, or farmers engaging in an Aquaculture Improvement Project to achieve ASC certification
- Increased partner involvement in ASC-led communications and marketing campaigns that highlight ASC’s points of difference and value propositions towards consume
- Strengthened relationships with non-commercial partners supporting to build trust and awareness around the ASC certification programme and its consumer facing logo
Key Qualifications: Applicants must have
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience
- At least 5 – 8 years’ proven and relevant working experience in in a similar outreach role at a (seafood) company or NGO in Germany, Switzerland or Austria
- Established network in the seafood/ sustainability sector in at least one of the markets
- Solid knowledge about the role of certification in the seafood sector and insight into the evolving landscape of sustainable seafood
- Diplomatic approach and appearance in linking a business reality with the vision and mission of the ASC program
- Strong focus on the delivery of excellent customer service (including expectation management) through:
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills, as evidenced by your ability to cultivate and manage relationships with partners;
- Excellent verbal communication skills having the natural ability to interact with a diverse range of people;
- Excellent writing skills both for daily communication and outreach materials.
- Exceptional organizational skills demonstrated through:
- executing outreach sessions and events;
- good judgement and problem-solving skills;
- good attention to detail; and,
- an ability to work as part of a global team.
- And importantly …. Be an enthusiastic, self-motivating and fun colleague to work with.
Native in German, excellent written and spoken English
Please e-mail a resume and cover letter detailing how you meet the requirements to: email@example.com
Selection process: Your resume and cover letter will be reviewed. A short list of candidates will be invited to take part in initial interviews. Successful candidates will be asked to prepare a presentation to demonstrate communication proficiency in a second round.