Responsible to: Market Development Manager Netherlands & UK
Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience
Contract: Terms to be agreed
Location: United Kingdom (ASC supports remote working and is flexible with regards to location)
Date written: May 2021
ASC is an independent, not-for-profit organisation established in 2010. We now have over 70 employees working all around the world, to set and operate global standards for responsible aquaculture by promoting certified farmed products to consumers, through the use of our logo.
The aquaculture industry is growing strongly and is already supplying more than half of all seafood consumed worldwide, but this growing demand increases the environmental and social footprint associated with this expansion. The ASC certification and labelling programme incentivise improved farming practices by promoting the benefits of responsibly farmed seafood and encourages an industry towards achieving environmental sustainability and social responsibility.
We work with aquaculture producers, seafood processors, retail and foodservice companies, scientists, conservation groups and the public globally to promote the best environmental and social choice in farmed seafood. For more information go to www.asc-aqua.org.
About this role
The Market Development Manager UK & Ireland will be responsible for further expanding the demand and preference for ASC certified and labelled products in these important markets and facilitating the engagement of farms in the programme. The role is home based in the UK in a remote capacity, however there is an option to work from our office in Croydon if that is preferable (Covid guidance permitting).
The post holder will increase awareness and understanding of the ASC’s mission, its value and brand and the role that the ASC programme plays in delivering solutions to the social and environmental challenges of aquaculture amongst several stakeholder groups in the UK, including: retailers, brands, importers, farms, scientists and NGOs. The position’s primary goals are enhancing the quality of key stakeholder and partner engagement, building effective working relationships and securing and/or deepening the support of commercial partners and non-commercial partners.
- Deepen market presence through commercial partner and stakeholder engagement
- Further develop and execute the market specific workplan that is aligned with the ASC strategies plan and that deepens presence and builds support for the ASC programme, its value and brand amongst key stakeholders.
- Expand and maintain relationships with relevant and prioritised commercial partners like retailers and brands and explore ways to increase their number of ASC labelled products.
- Build support amongst these partners for ASC’s points of difference and value propositions.
- Engage and increase the number of critical suppliers and promote and drive uptake of Chain of Custody (CoC) certification amongst them.
- Respond to the retail, brand and supply chain companies’ inquiries and questions regarding the ASC programme, its Chain of Custody certification, certified suppliers, marketing materials and ASC-logo usage etc.
- Conduct outreach to farms and processing companies and support them to participate in the program. This includes sparking interest through initial discussions, explaining the programme (e.g. in meetings or workshops) until becoming involved in ASC certification of farming site(s).
- Expand and strengthen relationships and collaboration with UK NGOs, other certification programs (ISEAL members) and consumer organisations in building trust in and preference for the ASC certification programme.
- Coordinate and organise ASC events for new and existing partners, retailers, brands, supply chain companies or companies interested in certification (example: partner’s day, ASC awards, webinars on specific focus).
- Strengthening the collaboration with the MSC in support of ASC’s efforts to service the UK & Irish market.
- Represent and promote the ASC at various levels in the commercial world, aquaculture industry, government and NGO community in Northern Europe.
- Provide market intelligence and feedback to ASC about expectations and wishes of commercial and non-commercial partners regarding the further development of the ASC programme.
- Actively engage commercial partners and non-commercial partners in relevant Public Consultations, technical projects and revisions to further improve our programme.
- Leverage marketing & communications activities to raise consumer awareness
- Create and lever PR and marketing opportunities with commercial partners to promote certified and labelled seafood to consumers and build awareness and understanding of the ASC logo.
- Service key commercial partners in their marketing needs and champion them (through PR) when reaching important mile-stones.
- Improve and expand commercial partner marketing engagement with the ASC, deliver marketing assets, messaging and market insights to improve client retention, acquisition and customer service.
- Identify and develop non-commercial partnerships for exposure and enhancing awareness, understanding and trust in the ASC label, including working with educational institutions, celebrities, ambassadors and chefs.
- Scope the viability for an ASC-led campaign with commercial and non-commercial partners.
- Monitor the UK seafood landscape to understand opportunities to position the ASC programme, its value and brand.
- Work with Communications Managers to develop intelligence on consumer perception and understanding, drawing on the ASC Globescan survey and other relevant data and insights.
Applicants must have:
- Educated to a degree level or equivalent experience/ qualification.
- Proven and relevant experience in the UK seafood and/ or sustainability sector, working with retailers, food service companies and brands.
- Solid knowledge about the role of certification in the seafood sector, knowledge of environmental and sustainability issues and insight into the evolving, global landscape of sustainable seafood.
- Experience in marketing and / or communication and in maintaining strong working relationships with key agencies are a plus.
- Diplomatic approach and experience in linking a business reality with the vision and mission of the ASC programme.
- Strong focus on the delivery of excellent customer services (including expectation management) through:
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills, as evidenced by your ability to cultivate and manage relationships with partners;
- Excellent verbal communication skills having the natural ability to interact with a diverse range of people;
- Excellent writing skills both for daily communication and outreach materials;
- Demonstrated excellence in preparing and delivering presentations.
- Proven ability to drive forward a successful joint working relationship with external partners turning a client into an ambassador.
- Exceptional organisational and leadership skills demonstrated through:
- executing outreach sessions and events;
- good judgement and problem-solving skills; and
- good attention to details never losing sight of the the bigger plan.
- Ability to work as part of a globally operating team, but also the skills and character to work remotely.
- And not unimportant …. an enthusiastic, self-motivating and fun colleague to work with.
- Native in English. Second language is a plus.
Please e-mail your cover letter and CV as well as your salary expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application closing date: June 21, 2021
Selection process: Your CV and motivational letter will be reviewed. A short list of candidates will be invited to take part in initial interviews. Successful candidates will be asked to prepare a presentation to demonstrate communication proficiency in a second round.
We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the global community and therefore particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.