- Responsible to: Regional Manager Europe
- Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience
- Contract: Full time. The ASC supports flexible working arrangements so employees can vary their pattern of hours according to operational and personal needs. Weekend work may be required. No payments are available for overtime, but time off in lieu may be granted.
- Location: Preferably Sweden, but Denmark also an option
- Travel: Travelling within Europe is part of the job, you must be willing to travel internationally when required
ASC is an independent, not-for-profit organisation established in 2010 to set and operate global standards for responsible aquaculture. Certified farmed products are promoted to consumers through the use of its ASC-logo.
The aquaculture industry is growing strongly and is already supplying more than half of all seafood consumed worldwide, but this growing demand increases the environmental and social footprint associated with this expansion. The ASC certification and labelling programme incentivises improved farming practices by promoting the benefits of responsibly farmed seafood and encourages an industry towards achieving environmental sustainability and social responsibility.
We work with aquaculture producers, seafood processors, retail and foodservice companies, scientists, conservation groups and the public globally to promote the best environmental and social choice in farmed seafood.
The ASC is a growing organisation. We have now almost 70 people spread all over the globe. There are five functional teams covering: Standards and Science, Programme Assurance, Market Development, Communications and Administration. We have our headquarter office in Utrecht/ the Netherlands. All other staff predominantly work from home or within the offices of partner organisations across the globe.
For more information go to www.asc-aqua.org.
About the role
The Market Development Manager Northern Europe will be responsible for deepening and expanding the penetration of the ASC certification and labelling programme in ASC’s key markets Sweden and Denmark, as well as Finland and Norway.
The post holder will increase awareness and understanding of the ASC and the role that the ASC plays in delivering solutions to the social and environmental challenges of aquaculture. Enhancing the quality of key stakeholder engagement, building effective working relationships and securing and/or deepening the support of commercial and non-commercial partners are the positions’ primary goals.
- Develop market specific working plans to deepen presence and build awareness for the ASC programme (key stakeholders, commercial partners, activities and resources needed).
- Build awareness for the need for responsible aquaculture and promote the solution that ASC certification and labelling programme provides amongst key stakeholders, such as retailers, brands and supply chain companies.
- Maintain and deepen relationships with relevant and prioritised already committed key retailers and brands and explore ways to increase their offer of ASC labelled products.
- Increase the number of suppliers and promote and drive uptake of Chain of Custody (CoC) certification and ASC logo usage.
- Create and lever opportunities of commercial partners in communication and marketing efforts to promote certified seafood to end-consumers and build recognition of the ASC logo.
- Lead the execution of ASC-led communications and marketing campaigns and engage partners to participate.
- Expand and strengthen relationships and collaboration with NGOs, other certification programs (ISEAL members) and consumer organisations in building trust and awareness around the ASC certification programme.
- Educate and inform partners about the rules of the programme, to maintain the credibility and integrity of the ASC.
- Improve the quality and efficiency of our service to the large number of commercial partners in Northern e.g. by developing an in-country B2B e-newsletter.
- Coordinate and organise ASC events for retailers, brands and supply chain companies interested in the ASC programme.
- Represent and promote the ASC at various levels in the commercial world, aquaculture industry, government and NGO community in Northern Europe.
- Identify expectations and wishes of commercial partners regarding the further development of the ASC programme.
- Actively encourage the participation of commercial partners and other stakeholders in public consultations for the further development of the ASC programme.
- Strengthening the collaboration with the MSC in support of ASC’s efforts to service the Northern European markets.
Key Qualifications: Applicants must have
- Educated to a degree level or equivalent experience/ qualification.
- Extensive proven and relevant experience in the Swedish or Danish seafood and/ or sustainability sector, working with retailers, food service companies and brands.
- Solid knowledge about the role of certification in the seafood sector, knowledge of environmental and sustainability issues and insight into the evolving, global landscape of sustainable seafood.
- Knowledge and experience in marketing and / or communication and a flare for creativity are a plus.
- Strong focus on the delivery of excellent customer services (including expectation management).
- Diplomatic approach and appearance in linking a business reality with the vision and mission of the ASC programme.
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills, evidenced by your ability to cultivate and manage relationships with stakeholders and partners with a people-centered approach resulting in support and commitments
- Demonstrated excellence in preparing and delivering presentations
- Excellence in spoken communication skills having the natural ability to interact with a diverse range of people.
- Good writing skills both for daily communication, but also for outreach materials
- A sound business attitude and results-oriented, at the same time you listen and have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to garner support and cooperation.
- Good judgement and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional organisational skills, experience with planning and executing outreach sessions and events.
- Ability to work as part of a globally operating team, but also the skills and character to work remotely.
- And not unimportant …. an enthusiastic, self-motivating and fun colleague to work with.
- Native in Swedish, excellent written and spoken English. Knowledge of Danish is a plus.
Please e-mail a cover letter, and CV detailing how you meet the criteria to: email@example.com
Application closing date: October 31, 2020
Selection process: Your CV and motivational letter will be reviewed. A short list of candidates will be invited to take part in initial interviews. Successful candidates will be asked to prepare a presentation to demonstrate communication proficiency in a second round.