Responsible to: Seaweed Account Manager ASC
Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience
Contract: 3 days per week; Consultancy contract
Location: South Korea
Date written: August 2021
ASC is an independent, not-for-profit organisation established in 2010. We now have over 70 employees working all around the world, to set and operate global standards for responsible aquaculture by promoting certified farmed products to consumers, through the use of our logo.
The aquaculture industry is growing strongly and is already supplying more than half of all seafood consumed worldwide, but this growing demand increases the environmental and social footprint associated with this expansion. The ASC certification and labelling programme incentivise improved farming practices by promoting the benefits of responsibly farmed seafood and encourages an industry towards achieving environmental sustainability and social responsibility. The ASC has also developed, in collaboration with the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), a standard and certification for seaweed producers.
We work with aquaculture producers, seafood processors, retail and foodservice companies, scientists, conservation groups and the public globally to promote the best environmental and social choice in farmed seafood. For more information go to www.asc-aqua.org.
The Producer and Market Development Coordinator will be responsible for increasing the engagement of producers (certified volume) and for expanding the uptake of ASC’s certification and labelling program by supply chain partners in the country.
The position has two facets. One goal is to secure and/ deepen the commitment of producers and processors to certification and to increase certified supply. Priority farmed species in Korea are seaweed, various bivalve species, and flatfish. The other goal is to engage and secure participation of key supply chain companies and building effective working relationships with them and with other critical stakeholders in the country such as e.g., the government, research institutes and seafood industry associations.
The post holder will increase awareness and understanding of the ASC’s mission, its value and brand and the role that certification plays in delivering solutions to the social and environmental challenges of aquaculture, with specific attention in seaweed. The job combines the need to convey the commercial value of certification and the ASC logo towards producers, processors and supply chain partners as well as the need to support them in understanding our standards, certification processes, CoC certification and ASC logo use. The role requires a good understanding of how a third-party certification programme such as the ASC works, including the seaweed standard which is a jointly managed by the ASC and the MSC. We are seeking an experienced individual with preferably farming/ and supply chain experience in the seafood sector in the country.
- Conduct outreach to seaweed farming and processing companies, other aquaculture producers and companies across the supply chain to promote the value of certification and the ASC logo and increased uptake of certification
- Serve as first contact responding to inquiries of farmers and regarding ASC requirements, the ASC/ MSC seaweed standard, our certification methodologies (multi-site, group), ASC logo use and all other issues with ASC certification process
- Maintain the relations with certified farms/ producers and processors, connect their supply to domestic or international markets/ buyers and facilitate them in their needs within the remit of your role
- Deliver workshops to producers, processors and feed mills to explain the value of ASC certification and the ASC logo and build capacity to prepare for certification
- Engage and increase the number of critical suppliers and promote and drive uptake of Chain of Custody (CoC) certification amongst them
- Expand and maintain relationships with relevant and prioritised commercial partners like retailers and brands and explore ways to increase their number of ASC labelled products
- Respond to the retail, brand and supply chain companies’ inquiries and questions regarding the ASC programme, its Chain of Custody certification, certified suppliers, marketing materials and ASC-logo usage etc.
- Account manager for local Deep clients as defined in Markets Nested Log frame
- Encourage and facilitate clients and other local stakeholders (such as NGOs, seafood industry associations, aquaculture experts, academics, and the government) to participate in the public consultations of the ASC programme
- Strengthen our intelligence about the seafood sector in your country, map the trade flows of farmed products into domestic and overseas markets highlighting the opportunities and target companies to increase ASC certified supply to meet demand
- Maintain the ASC outreach contacts database for your country
- Collaborate with colleagues in the ASC Market Development Team to maximize leverage from the market/ buyers to engage producers in your country
- Act as the on the ground representative for the ASC programme and promote the programme locally with other relevant stakeholders such as the industry associations and government and seek opportunities and synergies for alignment and collaboration
- Develop and strengthen the collaboration with the MSC in South Korea
- Provide advice and support through briefings, submissions and reports to ASC staff as needed
- Relevant qualifications, preferably a master degree in/related to aquaculture
- On the ground experience in farming and the industry in the country
Required skills and experience
- Substantial relevant working experience
- Established network of relations with key producers and supply chain companies in South Korea, but also industry associations, the government and local NGOs and consultants supporting the sector
- An engaging and trustworthy personality able to work collaboratively with high integrity
- Being able to explain the technical details of the third-party certification programme in an understandable way, and at the same be present and solid to manoeuvre discussions in a direction that builds support for the role of certification and the ASC logo in making aquaculture responsible
- Strong focus on the delivery of excellent customer services with a diplomatic approach and appearance
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills, as evidenced by your ability to cultivate and manage relationships with partners
- Excellent verbal communication skills having the natural ability to interact with a diverse range in seniority of staff within target companies
- Demonstrated excellence in preparing and delivering presentations
- Strong project management, planning and time-management skills with a pro-active “can-do” personality with willingness to take initiative to improve current practice
- Well-developed analytical and systematic problem-solving skills, demonstrating sound reasoning abilities and logical decision making also while working under pressure
- Ability to work as part of a globally operating team, but also the skills and character to work remotely
- Being able to operate in a matrix-organisation requiring the ability to collaborate with various staff and an excellent understanding of responsibilities in such a context
- Profound knowledge of aquaculture certification schemes in general and ASC in particular
- An understanding of global trends and environmental and / or social issues in seafood sustainability and the role that certification plays in driving positive change
- Native in Korean and fluent in English
- An above all a positive, enthusiastic and fun colleague to work with!
Application and selection process
Please e-mail your cover letter and CV (in English) via: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your CV and cover letter will be reviewed and a short list of candidates will be invited to take part in initial interviews. Successful candidates might be asked to prepare additional written materials and / or a presentation.
Application closing date: 17th September 2021
We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the global community and therefore particularly welcome applications from all underrepresented groups.