Project Coordinator (aligned ASC Farm Standard)
Responsible to: Head of Standards Team
Salary and benefits: TBD
Contract: 1 FTE
Location Ideally Europe but may be flexible for the right candidate
Date written: September 2020
The Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) is an independent, non-profit organisation, which sets global standards for responsible aquaculture. ASC promotes responsible aquaculture to consumers through the use of its logo on certified products.
The aquaculture industry is growing strongly and is already supplying more than half of all seafood consumed worldwide, but this growing demand increases the environmental and social footprint associated with this expansion. The ASC certification and labelling programme incentivises improved farming practices by promoting the benefits of responsibly farmed seafood in the market to encourage industry towards achieving environmental sustainability and social responsibility. For more information go to www.asc-aqua.org.
The Standards and Science (SaS) Department is made up of three Teams: 1) Standards Team, 2) Research Team and 3) Impacts Team. Collectively, these teams cover work streams that deal with standard development and implementation, conducting research and assimilating farm performance data to serve multiple purposes both within and external to the organization. The Department currently consists of 10 staff, each responsible for a number of specific projects as well operational workflows
The purpose of the position is to ensure the development of the aligned ASC Farm Standard. The Alignment Project aims at aligning all species-specific standards into one ASC Farm Standard, consisting of 3 Principle (Legal, Environmental, Social). Principle 1 and 3 are in a near-final state of development. Principle 2 of the ASC Farm Standard is currently under development. The ASC Project Coordinator will oversee the continued development of this Principle (2) and the completion and implementation of the overall Standard.
The role provides an opportunity to play a crucial part in ensuring the successful delivery of the most strategically important product for ASC over the next three years. The development is comprised of a significant programme of work that needs to be managed in a robust, transparent and inclusive manner, and which requites coordination of tasks across all ASC Departments (e.g. Programme Assurance, Marketing Communications, Market Development).
The role of the Project Coordinator will not be solely focused on the Alignment project, though this is anticipated to consume the majority of the position. There will be an opportunity to learn and engage in other SaS projects and contribute as capacity permits, with the goal to become engaged in the Department as a critical team member to assume roles that fall within project coordination and related expertise as needed.
- Overall project coordination of 1) the development, and 2) the implementation, of the aligned ASC Farm Standard and associated controlled documents, including but not limited to:
- Coordinating an internal steering group for the project;
- Mapping of the process-steps and activities needed for the various milestones in the standard-setting process (draft documents, consultation rounds, pilots) of the environmental component (Principle 2) and the completion of Principle 1 and 3 (legal and social component) following the pilots;
- Coordination of, and contribution to, technical inputs across the various ASC Departments for the various process-steps and activities;
- Liaison with other ASC Departments on internal communication on status, updates and input-needs;
- Act as central coordinating point for stakeholder inquiries on the project & progress throughout the duration of the project;
- Document management and record keeping to facilitate compliance process;
- Working with Governance team to ensure successful governance process; and
- Ultimate coordination of implementation and release of approved Farm Standard
- Additional tasks include participation in ASC calls and communications across teams as needed
Key qualifications and experience required
- Proven project management skills – preferably of multi-disciplined projects;
- Comfortable with change and working in an evolving and dynamic environment;
- Comprehensive understanding of certification schemes;
- Understanding of issues in seafood sustainability;
- Preferably scientific and/or industry expertise within the field of aquaculture and/or seafood;
- Attention to detail and experience working with and developing quality management systems.
- Fluent in spoken and written English;
- Excellent presentation, communication and reporting skills;
- Able to think and work independently, systematically and to make pragmatic decisions;
- Able to work effectively with colleagues from various departments
- Pro-active and result-oriented.
- Diplomatic with the ability to garner support and cooperation amongst colleagues and external stakeholders.
- And not unimportant …. be an enthusiastic and fun colleague to work with!
Please e-mail a cover letter and CV detailing how you meet the criteria to: email@example.com by 30th November 2020.
Click here to read the full job description.
Applications will be reviewed and a short list of candidates will be invited to interview remotely.