Senior Coordinator – Feed Standard
Responsible to: Head of Standards Team
Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience
Contract: Full time, 12 month fixed term contract with possibility to extend
The Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) is an independent, non-profit organisation, which sets global standards for responsible aquaculture. ASC promotes responsible aquaculture to consumers through the use of its logo on certified products.
The aquaculture industry is growing strongly and is already supplying more than half of all seafood consumed worldwide, but this growing demand increases the environmental and social footprint associated with this expansion. The ASC certification and labelling programme incentivises improved farming practices by promoting the benefits of responsibly farmed seafood in the market to encourage industry towards achieving environmental sustainability and social responsibility. For more information go to www.asc-aqua.org.
The Standards and Science (SaS) Department is made up of three Teams: 1) Standards Team, 2) Research Team and 3) Impacts Team. Collectively, these teams cover work streams that deal with standard development and implementation, conducting research and assimilating farm performance data to serve multiple purposes both within and external to the organization. The Department currently (July, 2020) consists of 11 staff, each responsible for a number of specific projects as well operational workflows.
The first version of the ASC Feed Standard is about to be released and prepared for implementation. This is a much-anticipated moment for the Department, as for the wider organization, as we are not only releasing a new standard, but also venturing into a new area (i.e. feed) of certification and associated assurances. During the implementation period, a range of activities is expected, such as: coordination of guidance document development, coordination of auditor training material development, support mills and ingredient suppliers, etc. The objective is that all certified farms (globally) will eventually use ASC Feed for their production.
The ASC Feed Standard sets requirements that apply to various parts of the feed supply chain; starting at feed mill level, into supply chain due diligence and finally containing specific requirements for marine and plant-based ingredients.
With the finalization of the ASC Feed Standard, ASC leads the global discussion regarding aquafeed sustainability into new, unventured, territory. Traditionally, a strong focus on marine ingredients has always dominated the debate regarding improving the sustainability of the aquaculture industry. However, with those (marine) ingredients representing around 10-15% of the total global aquafeed ingredient volume, questions regarding the impact of perceived “alternatives” can no longer be ignored. Most pressingly, ingredients originating from terrestrial agriculture – and the concerns of deforestation /land linked land conversation linked.
The ASC Feed Standard is the first in the global aquaculture industry to frontier this problem across all agriculture-based ingredients, and as such, seeks to establish a level playing field with regards tackling sustainability impacts across all ingredient types. An exciting, yet challenging, direction indeed!
We are looking for an individual to lead the coordination of activities that are required during the implementation process of the Standard, and beyond.
- Lead the overall coordination of the implementation period of the ASC Feed Standard, including:
- Coordination of development of Implementation Guidance;
- Contributing to the development of assurance documents needed for the audit process;
- Coordination of development of training material, both for feed mills and for auditors;
- Contributing to the development of technical communication documents to service stakeholder’s engagement;
- Resolving incoming questions regarding the Standard.
- Deepen existing (technical) relationships relevant for the Feed Standard uptake, and develop tactics to expand the network in coordination with Markets Development staff with the ultimate aim to create wide understanding, support and uptake of the Standard within the industry and related stakeholders;
- Lead the overall coordination of a multi-stakeholder platform to continue the discussion regarding agriculture-based ingredients and their sustainability challenges;
- Maintaining the Feed Standard Issue Log – a document that lists items of improvement for future versions;
- Engage with the ASC Technical Advisory Group as and when needed;
- Engage with colleagues and keep them informed where needed;
- Contribute to needs from colleagues where needed;
Good understanding of issues in overall seafood sustainability and the role of (feed mill) certification in it;
- Affinity and relevant experience in the domains of:
- Feed manufacturing
- Feed mill certification
- Feed supply chain management/due diligence
- Commodity traceability challenges
- Marine ingredients sustainability challenges
- Agriculture-based ingredients sustainability challenges;
- Proven consensus-seeking stakeholder engagement;
- Proven project coordination experience;
- A personality that can:
- work independently, objectively, systematically whilst remaining pragmatic;
- act proactively to solve problem and achieve results,
- operates with diplomacy and the ability to garner support and cooperation both within the organization and with stakeholders;
- Able to travel regularly;
- Fluent in spoken and written English;
- Excellent presentation, communication and reporting skills;
- And not unimportant …. be an enthusiastic, positive and fun colleague to work with!
Please e-mail a cover letter and CV detailing how you meet the criteria to: firstname.lastname@example.org by September 11th 2020.
Applications will be reviewed and a short list of candidates will be invited to interview remotely.
For a more in depth job profile please see here.