Responsible to: Senior Manager Supply Chain Assurance
Team / Department: Operating within Program Assurance
Salary and benefits: TBD and based on experience
Contract: 1 FTE
Location Flexible, terms to be agreed
Date written: Oct 2021
ASC is an independent, not-for-profit organisation established in 2010 to set and operate global standards for responsible aquaculture. Certified farmed products are promoted to consumers through the use of its logo.
The aquaculture industry is growing strongly and is already supplying more than half of all seafood consumed worldwide. With this growing demand comes an increased environmental and social footprint. The ASC certification and labelling programme incentivises improved farming practices by promoting the benefits of responsibly farmed seafood and encourages an industry towards achieving environmental sustainability and social responsibility.
The ASC is a growing organisation. We have around 75 people working from various countries, including the Netherlands, UK, Germany, Spain, Australia, Japan, China, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, Brazil and the US. There are five functional Departments covering: Standards and Science, Programme Assurance, Market development, Marketing and Communication, Administration/Governance. We operate an office in Utrecht (NL) and in London (UK) for staff based in these countries.
The Program Assurance Department is made up of two Teams: 1) Certification Assurance Team, 2) Supply Chain Assurance Team. Together, these teams cover work streams that deal with program assurance management of standards certification and supply chain assurance designed to underwrite the ASC Logo. The Department currently consists of 11 staff, each responsible for a combination of specific projects in addition to ASC program assurance.
We work with aquaculture producers, seafood processors, retail and foodservice companies, scientists, conservation groups and the public globally to promote the best environmental and social choice in farmed seafood. For more information go to www.asc-aqua.org.
Key Data Element (KDE) are elements that have material impact on the ASC’s quality assurance and traceability requirements. This role will work in KDE which is a project in line with the ASC’s continuous improvement commitment, the Programme Assurance team is at the stage of rolling out a project aimed to use technology to improve the digital traceability of ASC certified products. The role will work with companies, farms, processors, brokers, and importers to implement and further develop the KDE system to track data generated at different locations and underwrite the provenance of the product. The role will evolve to include more data management encompassing other data the team manages and a wider role within the team.
Role and responsibilities
The Supply Chain Assurance Coordinator will have an excellent knowledge of MS Access/LibreOfficeBase and/or SQL, supply chains and the components that comprise supply chain steps. They will ideally have an understanding data transactions and steps that are used to underwrite traceability and provenance.
Duties will consist of:
- Setup Clients in KDE data system.
- First line support of KDE IT system users, to address questions about the ASC Key Data Elements; meanings, definitions and data entry.
- Review data for errors and interact with Certificate Holders to investigate corrections.
- Collect feedback and suggestions for improvements of the KDE system.
- Collaborate with IT to develop new configurations of the KDE system.
- Liaise with IT companies, attend design meetings.
- Liaise with other ASC teams and partners on the Key Data Element project.
- Design ways companies can process, manipulate and visualise/use their own data exported from ASC IT systems (Tableau, SAP analytics, Excel, Other)
- Revise training materials as necessary and as KDE system changes.
- Work on interoperability of ASC systems and databases.
- Work on uniformity and data field naming protocols.
- Prepare data for analysis, design and set up intermediate databases for data manipulation, statistical analysis
- Familiarise with external developments (e.g. WWF TruTrace/Thai government, etc) and see how these may benefit/ be linked and integrated into the ASC, come up with proposals how to link or integrate these initiatives. Implement these proposals if decided to do so.
Desired Education and Experience
- Languages: Fluent in spoken and written English; Spanish, Vietnamese or Hindi would be a plus.
- Required: good technical knowledge of database/software (MS Access, SQL, XML,..)
- Knowledge of statistics; Tableau or Power BI is a plus.
- Work experience in (food) supply chains, a factory or warehouse or related area is a plus.
- Able to think and work independently, systematically and to make pragmatic decisions.
- Due to the nature of our global organisation there may be requirement to be available for evening meetings due to time zone differences.
- Experience of working with NGO’s, Standard Setting Organizations and an understanding of issues in seafood sustainability and the role of aquaculture farm certification plays in these initiatives would be a plus
- ….and not unimportant …be an enthusiastic, self-motivated and fun colleague to work with!
Please e-mail a cover letter and CV (in English) to email@example.com.
Closing date: 1 Nov 2021.
Selection process: Your CV and cover letter will be reviewed. A short list of candidates will be invited to take part in interview.
We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the global community and therefore particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.