How to get certified against the ASC Farm Standards
Read the steps below if you are interested in the ASC certification:
- Carefully read the relevant, species-specific standard’s pre-audit checklist! It lists all requirements a farm must meet prior to an audit.
- Farm contacts ASC-accredited CAB2 (Find a CAB on the ASI website) – CAB sends information to farm.*
- Farm contracts ASC-accredited CAB. ASC strongly recommends asking more than 1 certifier to submit quotes for the work.
- CAB informs ASC & ASI about planned audit (by using Form 3 of the Certification and Accreditation Requirements (CAR)) min. 30 days before audit; CAB shall inform updates within 5 days after any changes.
- ASC publishes audit date in the Find a Farm page (Max. 3 days after being informed by CAB) to allow stakeholders to indicate their interest to be heard in audit process.
- CAB sends audit information to farm.
- CAB collects and lists all relevant stakeholders.
- CAB assesses farm (includes receiving input from stakeholders).
- CAB responds in writing to involved stakeholders how each stakeholder’s comments were addressed.
- CAB processes audit findings & sends draft report to ASC.
- ASC publishes draft report in the Find a Farm page
- within 5 days after receiving the document from the CAB.
- Stakeholders can react to draft report (15 days) by addressing the CAB direct.
- CAB processes stakeholder input.
- CAB’s takes certification decision:
- compliant (certified)
- not (yet) compliant (not (yet) certified) – Based on level of non-compliancy, CAB and client can agree on a time-bound improvement plan
- CAB sends final certification report and certificate to ASC
- ASC publishes certification report and certificate in the Find a Farm page
*Please note: ASC does not determine the cost of certification. To receive a quote for certification, please contact the accredited CABs listed here.
Farm Data Submission
Farms that must submit data to ASC can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (more information can be found in the Standards). Please follow the instructions for farmers submitting data to ASC outlined in the Checklist.